2009-04-07

Vernon God Little

I just scooped up something to take with me to the spa to read last weekend, and inadvertently got one I had already read and then "Vernon God Little" by the Australian-Mexican author DBC Pierre, so it was this or nothing. At least it won the Booker prize in 2003.

I was so fascinated, that I finished the book during Saturday!

It was hard getting into the book at first - the teenage boy narrator (very Catcher-in-the-Rye) uses the F-word approximately 3.5 times per sentences, and since the book takes place in Texas, people are constantly using wrong words that sort of sound like what they really want to say (not that any of it really has meaning).

The book deals with life in Texas, teenage boys, gravely obese people, homosexuality, amok shooting sprees, the Texas Penal system, the death penalty, and all sorts of bits and pieces of Americana.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

>..."Vernon God Little"... I was so fascinated, that I finished the book during Saturday!

from what you describe, it sounds like concentrated horse-shit -- Unbelievable!

>the book takes place in Texas, people are constantly using wrong words that sort of sound like what they really want to say (not that any of it really has meaning).

you know better!

>The book deals with life in Texas...

YOU KNOW BETTER !!

so... let's talk "Corruption in Handball" !?!

for your consideration (book to add to the stack on your nightstand) I recommend "We Need To Talk About Kevin!" (I talked about it to the Heimsheim Library's Les-Bar the night before Winnenden... (me was Hahn-im-Korb amidst 12 women, he-he !!!)

WiseWoman said...

We'll do "Corruption in Handball" after the THW game on Friday. At least Uwe Schwenker got the boot, sort of.

Anonymous said...

insider jokes - not only on facebook. oh my god...

Anonymous said...

I think the book is fabulous- because of the harsh reality it presents and because of the language that is used so beautifully to depict the harshness.
It took me sometime to get over the initial shock of reading such language- I mean I have seen it being used in movies, but never in a book of such critical acclaim. But after I had acclimatised, I grew to love the book for it sheer sincerity- no frills attached.