2008-09-20

Turned on to Linux

I think I've mentioned before that I think that kids are bored these days. Just had an interesting experience with the leader of WiseKids gang/clique/peer group.

WiseKid tends to disparage my computer knowledge - What do you know about computers? But when LeaderOfTheGang found out that I teach computing, he wanted to know if he could bring his broken computer over. I don't really like fixing broken Windoof boxes, but I said yes.

We finally gave up on Windoof (and no, I wouldn't give him the licensed CD I have in the closed) and I gave him Knoppix (a free Unix version) to install. Wow - was he ever impressed with all the stuff available on the default install.

Instead of hanging out at the playground they are playing around with Knoppix. And apparently having a ball. Let's hope it lasts!

1 comment:

brainerror said...

Won't last long since they can't play newest games and stuff with Knoppix.

Even for the usual internet activities of young men (yeah, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pn4kZyqVRU ) it is necessary to install some missing video codecs, a process which is rather different from Windows (and thus, hard to do for beginners).