2008-02-15

Angie, Traffic Rowdy

I was on my way to a meeting this evening and just missed the turning light for the tunnel at Potsdamer Platz, where the Berlinale is being celebrated. Suddenly a big, black Audi shoves itself in front of me, occupying the pedestrian zone for the turning lane, and another one shoves itself in front of the straight ahead lanes.

One car honks, I start my usual curses about these drivers of fancy cars thinking they own the road, when I notice that the woman in the back seat of the car looks awful familiar. The news is helpful, explaining what the chancellor of Germany said today about the top manager caught siphoning funds off to foreign countries, and finally the synapses connected: This was Angela Merkel and her husband, who had so rudely shoved them selves in front of us.

Of course I didn't have a proper camera on me, so the mobile phone would have to do. This is how the car was angled in, I am in the left-turning lane! As the light went green the limos gunned their motors and scooted off the the left as well, careening down towards the Reichstag.

Man, if a mere mortal had tried that stunt, they would soon find themselves riding mass transit for a couple of months, their driver's licenses would be suspended!

No comments: