2008-06-12

It's almost Game Time!

I had an appointment at the local Rathaus this afternoon and was looking forward to a leisurely stroll over the open air market that is on the place in front of it. I thought it strange as I arrived for my appointment, but I thought nothing of it.

Coming out at quarter to five I found the sellers madly packing their wares - although the market is officially open until six and you can often still buy stuff until six-thirty.

Then it dawned on me: Germany's next game is at six. As I was buying some fruit - desperately marked down for dumping purposes so they could get to the game, the guy said "Yes, five-thirty I'm out of here!". I had a good laugh with him - he's Turkish, and I joked that Turkey-Germany would be a great final game.

As I walked home a car drove by decked out in Croating flag ears and a big flag hanging out the window, held by some screaming twenty-somethings. As they passed, a little girl on a little bicycle with training wheels answered back: Deutschland! Deutschland! Deutschland! Her mom was a bit embarrassed, so of course she kept it up. I just smiled and said: They have to start young.

Someone from our house just came in, madly pedaling his bike. Must be game time, from the haste with which he ditched his bike.

No comments: