2006-04-16

My new Wedge Axe

We had some trees taken down a few years ago and sliced into 30cm pieces so that we could chop it for our fireplace. Okay, so I could chop it. I did a pretty good job on the easy stuff over the years, but there are a lot of slices left that are just too big for me to slice, or are too knotty to handle.

Last year I saw exactly what I wanted in the Manufactum catalogue: A wedge axe from Logmatic. There is a wedge part and then two handles, one inside the other. You pull up the inside one and drop it, letting gravity drive the wedge into the wood. Or you get rid of your aggressions by slamming the handle down. Either way, the slices of wood cannot resist splitting.

So I got one for myself for Christmas. But there was so much snow in March that I couldn't find the wood....

But now at Easter the snow is melted, so my son and I had a great time yesterday and today splitting wood. Except that now I have a blister on my space-key-thumb and the left-mouse-key-finger. Oh well, that will heal. And I'm really enjoying the fire this evening....

1 comment:

WiseWoman said...

Seems it was not a blister, but some splinters. My thumb would not heal, and got very swollen at school this afternoon. I went to the doctor's and spent an hour waiting, then had an iodine bath, then had it punctured. She got a few splinters out, now I have to keep it bandaged and well-oiled with Betaisodone creme. If it doesn't get better I'll have to see a surgeon. But lucky me, the space key is big enough to hit with a bandaged thumb, even :)