2011-01-17

Blood Libel

I've always thought that Sarah Palin represented the right-wing loony fraction (that is getting frightfully large in the US). And I was so irritated about her poster with the gun sights next to 20 representatives including Gabrielle Giffords, I felt that she could not get any lower.

She did.

Mark Chu-Carroll from the blog Good Math, Bad Math alerted me to the exact words of her statement:

Especially within hours of a tragedy unfolding, journalists and pundits should not manufacture a blood libel that serves only to incite the very hatred and violence that they purport to condemn. That is reprehensible.
Excuse me?? Blood libel? The crazy story that Jews eat Christian children? In what parallel world do these people reside?

The comments are many and spurned me to read up a bit more on this. Matthew 27:25 - one verse in the Bible - has through the ages be construed that the Jews are somehow responsible for the death of their fellow Jew, Jesus. And this somehow gives people the right to kill Jews down through the ages.

I can't believe that democratic, educated people can believe that, much less use these words in any statement, much less for one in which she is trying to wiggle out from any responsibility for stirring up the climate of hatred that currently exists in the USofA.

It is sickening, seeing a once great country sliding into such a mess, I don't know how the country is going to get itself out of its current state and back into "one nation, undivided, with liberty and justice [and health care] for all."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...and the Krautish team, stupidly, blows a 3-goal lead, not just once, but two times! I feel for the coach... )-;

So where to move to next ?!?



Tex-Kraut