2007-01-18

The Storm

The Germans are in panic. The storm is coming.

The papers were full of it today, including pictures of freezing and snow from the US. We are in the middle of a climate catastrophe, and now we are having storms (the Germans call them Orkan, but it is not a hurricane. The Wikipedia uses "European windstorm") quite regularly.

Yes, trees fall down. That's why you are supposed to be checking your trees regularly.
Yes, stuff blows off your roof or scaffolding. That's why it is supposed to be tightly secured at all times, not just during storms.
Yes, it rains. So keep your drains cleared.

I guess I am rather cynical about this since I grew up in the States with storms and hurricanes just a natural part of the weather. I grew up storm-conscious: make sure you always have batteries and a battery-operated radio around; water is important, have a good bit on hand; canned food and a non-electric can-opener is great if the electricity stays off for longer than a day. Oh, candles, matches, and a pack of cards for playing card games is great, as the TV/Computer/Playstation don't work too well without electricity.

Since both my grandparents and my parents followed this rule, I always have tins of food, plenty of water, matches, candles and stuff at home and at our cabin. Electricity is often out at the cabin, so I've added a gas camping stove up there, but the wood stove can boil a liter of water for tea or fry an egg, too.

Schools and universities have been closed, people are driving home in droves to - do what? Okay, maybe drag in the picnic table, it is, after all, January. Maybe close the blinds outside the windows. Make some popcorn and watch a good movie instead of working - that does, indeed sound good.

I let my students decide if they wanted to go home or not. Most prefer staying in the lab. Me too. Sports training has been cancelled this evening, what else is there to do?

No comments: