Picked up a copy of "Mother Jones" at the newsstand in Lund yesterday. There is a shocking special section about America's prisons that is also available online: Slammed: Inside America's broken - and broke - prison system (scroll down a bit).
- 1 % of Americans are in jail
- 25% of the prisoners world-wide are in American jails
- 11% of black men between 20 and 34 are in jail
- Because ex-cons are often not allowed to vote, 13% of black men are not eligible to vote, and many others believe they cannot vote
- In many states, women convicts who are giving birth must do so while shackled to their beds.
- There are over a hundred youth serving life sentences in American prisons.
- 70% of parolees who are returned to prison are returned for administrative infractions such as not showing up for a meeting or not giving their change of address in time.